Buy and Sell on Jiji — Number 1 Online*Free Marketplace in Uganda(Sell Vehicles, Land, fast)
Jiji is one of the largest marketplaces for classifieds in Nigeria and the whole of Africa, the Number One Free Online marketplace in Uganda.
You can use Jiji to buy & sell online everything and anything. The biggest choice you to sell to people or customers near your area. Since it’s online, it’s super-fast transactions and people shopping online tend to have more interest in the products or services they are looking for than anywhere else.
Jiji now owns OLX, the OLX Group operates one of the fastest-growing networks of trading platforms for buying, selling, and exchanging products and services globally. They have over 20 plus brands around the world and their platforms are used by 322 million people every month.
Jiji acquired cars45 and this acquisition meant Jiji would now be able to access 300 million people across various markets. In Uganda, around June 2019, according to this Google trends graph, that’s when it really started to become very popular.
With Jiji, selling a house, car, even office space for rent is super simple to list and sell, and super fast. It provides buyers and sellers with a safe and secure platform to meet and exchange goods and services for completely free.
You just need a photo of what you are selling and the price. A phone number and email address are required to verify your account and start selling online, Completely *free of charge. No hidden fees.
However, now with the high competition, as everybody is trying to sell their products and services online, all business services are moving their small businesses, LLCs, and corporations online, no matter what they sell, it has become increasingly difficult to impossible to get customers/buyers.
So for that reason and many more, Jiji has come up with Premium services to help you boost your ads to reach more eyeballs and increase your sales to make more money.
Jiji Premium Services
- Free with Limited ad views and categories
- Business (USh 35,000 — 5x more clients, ads renew every 24 hours)
- Premium (USh 52,000–7x more clients, ads renew every 12 hours)
- VIP (USh 70,000 –10x more clients, ads renew every 6 hours)
- VIP+ (USh 140,000–20x more clients, ads renew every 3 hours)
You can hire freelancers (like me) on Jiji for services from logo design, website and domain name hosting, online learning sessions, online advertising, and a lot more to help you start, grow and expand your business beyond boundaries and go beyond you ever thought possible.
If you haven’t, you had better look for help on getting your business online. If you are outside Uganda, you can try Fiverr International to sell your services by listing your CV. Learn how to make money on Fiverr.
What Else Can I Sell on Jiji? (List of all Buy and Sell Categories)
Agriculture and Food
- Farm Machinery & Equipment
- Feeds, Supplements & Seeds
- Livestock & Poultry
- Meals & Drinks
Animals & Pets
- Cats & Kittens
- Dogs & Puppies
- Other Animals
- Pet’s Accessories
Babies & Kids
- Babies & Kids Accessories
- Baby & Child Care
- Children’s Clothing
- Children’s Furniture
- Children’s Gear & Safety
- Children’s Shoes
- Maternity & Pregnancy
- Prams & Strollers
Commercial Equipment & Tools
- Industrial Ovens
- Manufacturing Equipment
- Manufacturing Materials
- Medical Supplies & Equipment
- Printing Equipment
- Restaurant & Catering Equipment
- Salon Equipment
- Stage Lighting & Effects
- Store Equipment
- Computer Accessories (Everybody’s favorite gadgets)
- Accessories & Suppliers for Electronics
- Audio & Music Equipment
- Computer Hardware
- Computer Monitors
- Laptops & Computers
- Networking Products
- Photo & Video Cameras
- Printers & Scanners
- Security & Surveillance
- TV & DVD Equipment
- Video Game Consoles
- Video Games
- Clothing Accessories
- Wedding Wear & Accessories
Health & Beauty
- Bath & Body
- Hair Beauty
- Sexual Wellness
- Skin Care
- Tobacco Accessories
- Tools & Accessories
- Vitamins & Supplements
Home, Furniture & Appliances
- Home Accessories
- Kitchen & Dining
- Kitchen Appliances
- Accounting & Finance Jobs
- Advertising & Marketing Jobs
- Arts & Entertainment Jobs
- Childcare & Babysitting Jobs
- Clerical & Administrative Jobs
- Computing & IT Jobs
- Construction & Skilled trade Jobs
- Consulting & Strategy Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs
- Driver Jobs
- Engineering & Architecture Jobs
- Farming & Veterinary Jobs
- Gardening & landscaping Jobs
- Health & Beauty Jobs
- Healthcare & Nursing Jobs
- Hotel Jobs
- Housekeeping & Cleaning Jobs
- Human Resources Jobs
- Internship Jobs
- Legal Jobs
- Logistics & Transportation Jobs
- Management Jobs
- Manual Labour Jobs
- Manufacturing Jobs
- Mining Industry Jobs
- Office Jobs
- Other Jobs
- Part-time & Weekend Jobs
- Quality Control & Assurance jobs
- Research & Survey Jobs
- Restaurant & Bar Jobs
- Retail Jobs
- Sales & Telemarketing Jobs
- Security Jobs
- Sports Club Jobs
- Teaching Jobs
- Technology Jobs
- Travel & Tourism Jobs
Mobile Phones & Tablets
- Mobile Phones
- Accessories for Mobile Phones & Tablets
- Smart Watches & Trackers
- Land & Plots for Rent
- Commercial Property For Rent
- Commercial Property For Sale
- Event centers, Venues, and Workstations
- Houses & Apartments For Sale
- Land & Plots for Sale
- Short Let
Repair & Construction
- Building Materials
- Electrical Equipment
- Electrical Hand Tools
- Hand Tools
- Measuring & Layout Tools
- Other Repair & Construction Items
- Plumbing & Water Supply
- Solar Energy
Seeking Work — CVs
- Accounting & Finance CVs
- Advertising & Marketing CVs
- Arts & Entertainment CVs
- Childcare & Babysitting CVs
- Clerical & Administrative CVs
- Computing & IT CVs
- Construction & Skilled trade CVs
- Consulting & Strategy CVs
- Customer Service CVs
- Driver CVs
- Engineering & Architecture CVs
- Farming & Veterinary CVs
- Gardening & Landscaping CVs
- Health & Beauty CVs
- Healthcare & Nursing CVs
- Hotel CVs
- Housekeeping & Cleaning CVs
- Human Resources CVs
- Internship CVs
- Legal CVs
- Logistics & Transportation CVs
- Management CVs
- Manual Labour CVs
- Manufacturing CVs
- Mining Industry CVs
- Office CVs
- Other CVs
- Part-time & Weekend CVs
- Quality Control & Assurance CVs
- Research & Survey CVs
- Restaurant & Bar CVs
- Retail CVs
- Sales & Telemarketing CVs
- Security CVs
- Sports Club CVs
- Teaching CVs
- Technology CVs
- Travel & Tourism CVs
- Computer & IT Services
- Automotive Services
- Building & Trades Services
- Chauffeur & Airport transfer Services
- Classes & Courses
- Cleaning Services
- DJ & Entertainment Services
- Fitness & Personal Training Services
- Health & Beauty Services
- Landscaping & Gardening Services
- Legal Services
- Manufacturing Services
- Other Business Services
- Party, Catering & Event Services
- Pet Services
- Photography & Video Services
- Printing Services
- Recruitment Services
- Repair Services
- Tax & Financial Services
- Travel Agents & Tours
- Wedding Venues & Services
Sports, Arts & Outdoors
- Arts & Crafts
- Books & Games
- CDs & DVDs
- Camping Gear
- Musical Instruments & Gear
- Sports Equipment
- Buses & Microbuses
- Heavy Equipment
- Motorcycles & Scooters
- Trucks & Trailers
- Vehicle Parts & Accessories
- Watercraft & Boats
Safety Tips before you Begin to Buy or Sell on Jiji
For security reasons, for you and the Jiji community in Uganda and all over Africa, If you ever run into any issues with a seller or buyer, just report them to the Jiji team and they will crosscheck their profile fast to make sure they are not spamming and if they find them fraud, appropriate action will be taken immediately.
Otherwise, below find some tips to help you stay safe on the Jiji marketplace.
- Do not pay for anything in advance, even for the delivery
- Make it Public, avoid suspicious locations for your meeting
- Test the product before buying
- Again, Only make payment when you have the product
- Use Jji Premium Services to earn more by reaching more people (You can buy ads or promote your posts using your various payment methods — Mobile Money or Credit/Debit Card payments to pay for these services).
How to sell on Jiji in 5 easy-to-follow steps
With that out of the way, let us move on to how to start selling your products or services online using Jiji — *Free marketplace in Uganda for 100% Free Classified Ads and one of the largest in Nigeria and other African countries.
As we have seen, you can post Free Ads and Get Buyers for Laptops and more.
Step 1: Register for Free
The First step to selling on Jiji is to sign up free using your Google account or Facebook account. You can also use your e-mail address and phone number.
By the way, if you are a super beginner in this make money online thing, I will help you get started online if you watch this short video.
The video shows you why and how you need to use a Google account to get your business or services online, it shows how to create a Google account, but you can check out my YouTube channel to learn how to create a website, how to advertise it on Google or Facebook and how to create business visuals using Canva — a free online graphic design platform. With Canva, you don’t need an online degree in graphic design or business management to create pro graphics manage teams with Canva.
Anyways, once you have chosen your method of login or signup just click on the sell button, you might be required to verify your phone number or email before you can post your ad.
Step 2: Choose Product Category and Location
Once you click on the Sell button, if you are already logged in, the first thing required is to choose your product category. As we have seen at the beginning of this article there are a variety of categories from software, to agriculture and food, animals and pets, fashion, health & beauty, attorneys, insurance services, and other business services.
Choose one most appropriate to your business because you cannot type in your own. But you are guaranteed to find any category in the dropdown list.
Step 3: Pick a Location
Don’t forget to choose the location in which you want your ad to show. With Jiji, you can show your classified ads to people in your area and get sales super fast. As in less than a week. That’s huge profits to make in a week depending on how expensive your products or services are.
Where Can I Sell My Products or Services in Uganda using Jiji?
Below is a list of all the regions (as listed on Jiji) where you can sell your products or services in Uganda using the Jiji — Online marketplace for Classified Ads.
- Central Division, Kawempe, Makindye, Nakawa, Rubaga
- Goma, Kasawo, Kimenyedde, Kkome Islands, Kyampisi, Mukono TC, Nabaale, Nagojje, Nakisunga, Nama, Ntenjeru/Mukono, Ntuda, Seeta-Namuganga
- Busukuma, Division A, Division B, Gombe , Kakiri, Kasenje, Katabi, Kira, Masulita, Nabweru, Namayumba, Nangabo, Nsangi, Ssabagabo-Makindye, Ssisa, Wakiso/Wakiso
- Jinja, Mbale, Bugiri, Busia, Iganga, Kaberamaido, Kapchorwa, Katakwi, Kumi, Mayuge, Palissa, Soroti, Tororo
- Bubeke, Bufumira, Bujjumba, Kalangala TC, Kyamuswa, Mazinga, Mugoye
- Bbaale, Busana, Galiraaya, Kangulumira, Kayonza, Kayunga/Kayunga, Kayunga TC, Nazigo, Wabwoko-Kitimba
- Bukomero, Dwaniro, Kapeke, Kibiga, Kiboga TC, Lwamata, Muwanga
- Bamunanika, Bombo TC, Butuntumula, Kalagala, Kamira, Katikamu, Kikyusa, Luwero/Luwero, Luwero TC, Makulubita, Nyimbwa, Wobulenzi TC, Zirobwer
- Bukakata, Buwunga, Kabonera, Katwe, Kimanya, Kkingo, Kyanamukaaka, Mukungwe, Nyendo
- Bulera, Busimbi, Butayunja, Kakindu, Kikandwa, Maanyi, Malangala, Mityana TC, Ssekanyonyi
- Buwama, Kamengo, Kiringente, Kituntu, Mpigi/Mpigi, Mpigi TC, Muduma, Nkozi
- Bagezza, Bukuya, Butoloogo, Kasambya, Kassanda, Kiganda, Kitenga, Kiyuni, Madudu, Mubende TC, Myanzi
- Kakooge, Kalongo, Lwabyata, Lwampanga, Nabiswera, Nakasongola TC, Nakitoma, Wabinyonyi
- Arua, Gulu, Lira, Adjumani, Apac, Kitgum, Kotido, Moroto, Nakapiripirit, Nebbi, Yumbe
- Kisoro, Mbarara, Bushenyi, Hoima, Kabale, Kabalore, Kamwenge, Kanungu, Kasese, Kibaale, Kyenjojo, Masindi, Ntungamo, Rukungiri
Step 4: Have Photos of your Product Ready
With Jiji, you can quickly upload high-quality photos taken right from your smartphone. Smartphones these days come with high-quality HD cameras.
You can upload as many photos as long as they are original and they are yours and have the legal rights to use them. Follow the rules as indicated in the FAQ.
Whether you want to buy or sell furniture in Uganda, mobile phones, rent vehicles, offer automotive insurance, become an attorney for motorcycle accidents, sell electronics, cars, or property, you will need to have some photos before you can continue.
If it’s software, you can take a photo of the CD or package or a screenshot of the software on sale in action. People love to see action. At least I do.
Step 5: Add Product Title and Description & Publish
Now is the time to add some information about what you sell. This is very important because when someone is buying online, you want to give them as much information about the product or services as you possibly can.
If you don’t do that, the customer will look for information somewhere else and may end up buying the product or service on a competitor's website.
You might be wondering, but Mugabi, What is the importance of a product description? Can’t I just put the title of the product and move one.
What is a Product Description anyway?
A product description is the text (words) also known as marketing copy that explains what a product is and why someone should buy it. So the purpose of the description is to offer the customers as much important information as possible. This information may include the product features, but most importantly, the benefits of using the product should not miss out.
If you are scared, you don't have to be. You can just get a product description template for your industry by searching in Google or you can learn how to write a product description online.
What Do I put in My Jiji Product Description?
Product description information varies for different products and services. But below, you can read a list of the most common ones.
- Title of the Product
- Type of the Product or Service in your chosen category in Step 2
- Condition (Brand New, Used)
- Description (Features and Benefits of the product)
- Price (Fair, Whether Negotiable or Not)
- Phone Number for Contact & Communication
- Name of Seller or Company
- (Optional) Ads Budget to promote your ad and boost sales
And that’s it. Just hit the ‘Post Ad’ Button and give Jiji a few hours to review your product to make sure the photos are not used by someone else on the marketplace. Once your product images and information is reviewed, you will receive a notification in your Jiji account and an email notifying you whether your ad is active or if there are issues that need your attention.
(Bonus) Advanced Tips to Sell on Jiji like a Pro
- Choose an appropriate category (Review the list of categories above)
- Enter a fair price
- Reply to all messages in the Jiji online chat platform
- Use Jiji Premium Services to promote your ads and boost sales
- Ask for feedback from past customers
How to buy on Jiji?
Now that you know almost everything about selling your products or services on Jiji, I think it’s only right we look at how to buy items on Jiji. Never know, you may be browsing through Google and one of Jiji’s Google ads is displayed in your face and it’s that one thing that you have always wanted to buy. Learn how to create Google Ads from your YouTube video using Google Ads.
Step 1: Search for the item from the Jiji search panel
Step 2: Contact the Seller for negotiations and other details
There are two ways you may decide to communicate with the seller, first, you can either call them or send them a message and possibly initiate a chat session.
Step 3: Order and Wait for your Home Delivery (as agreed with seller)
Jiji has many rules they have put in place to keep the platform safe for buyers and sellers. Just make sure you follow the Safety tips we looked at earlier like paying after receiving the product, and meeting in a public and safe place.
Step 4: (Optional) Leave feedback about your experience with the Seller
This feedback appears on the seller’s page and helps other buyers while making a decision on the freelancer to work with. Make sure the comments are not abusive and try to keep them professional for the whole community.
There you have it, we have covered both how to buy products and services on Jiji as well as how to create a Jiji Seller profile and start selling without a website or Social Media page. I think this platform is super fast in terms of getting a buyer or sell your product or services regardless of your business category or industry.
Thank you and I hope this was helpful in terms of helping you get started making money online and selling without actually having to own any product or service.
What do you think of Jiji? What do you think is missing in this post?
Please talk about your experience in a short comment below and spread the love by sharing this post with your friends and family that want to sell online.